Here’s a recipe for tzatziki sauce, a staple of Greek mezes (appetizers). Traditionally served with pitas, vegetables, and olives, it is even better as a part of what essentially is Greek poutine: Fries layered with a meat of your choice1, topped with a generous helping of tzatziki, feta, and hot sauce. (Should you find yourself in the Roosevelt area of Seattle, go give these “gyro fries” a try at Zaina.)
The sauce itself is heavy on the garlic. What better way to impress your partner on Valentine’s Day than to ooze from the vegetable of love?
- 24 oz plain yogurt (4% Siggi’s is a good choice)
- ½ English cucumber, grated
- 8 cloves of garlic, grated
- 5 twigs dill, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour yogurt into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add cucumber into yogurt, stir well.
- Add garlic into mix, stir well.
- Add dill, stir well.
- Add olive oil and lemon, stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Or no meat at all. ↩